Life's like that!

November 16, 2008

Craft - Makkah Weather Dial

Yesterday during library period, 3 group of students made a weather dial for the city of Makkah in Saudi Arabia.

Students are grouped in the following order:
1st group -comprises of girls from 4th grade and up (6 students)
2nd group - comprises of girls from kindergarten to 3rd grade (20 students)
3rd group - comprises of boys from 1st to 7th grade (two groups of 10 students each)

Before we start the lesson, I reviewed the classroom rules with them. I also told them about consequences for not following the rules. We then discussed about the types of weather in Makkah and they used markers to draw the weather dial. After they finished, I pasted their art work on the library door so that they and their parents and community members can admire their creative designs.

For next week's assignment, students are expected to make and bring a 3-D model of the Ka'bah for me. The aim is to let them have a chance to learn more about this special symbol of Islam. Some students said that they have no time or idea how to make one, and I told them that they can get help from parents, siblings and friends.

After the lesson, the principal told me that the students enjoyed their time in the library. A volunteer teacher, also a parent, told me that she is willing to donate funds to purchase library resources. All praise be to Allah SWT, I'm glad that the library is getting more support.

Labels: