Life's like that!

November 09, 2008

Kids love the Library!

Yesterday I didn't have any students with me in the mosque library. All praise be to Allah SWT for that since husband had to work on some emergency issues for his project and he brought daughter to me at around 11am. I was just trying to keep daughter busy while tidying the library after kids swarmed to here whenever they have a quick break. After lunch, all the kids usually have about half and hour to play with their friends. The principal sent 8 boys (middle schoolers) to me after lunch and say that they were grounded and they needed to stay in the library. I told them to grab and book and read or they can talk among themselves. Surprising one of them grabbed the "I Spy" book and the rest start crowding around and had a blast looking at the pages. They pretty much behaved themselves in the library and I did not have to do much. Several boys tried to sneak out but I guarded the door and only allowed one at a time to go to the restroom or drink water.

Several Arabic/Islamic Studies teachers came and said that all the kids love the hang out in the library and it is the best room in the mosque. Even a 7th grade student, Noon, said that I have made the weekend school a fun place to be. I firmly believe that we must provide positive experience for kids when they are learning so that they will want to be here. All praise be to Allah SWT I am able to provide this positive environment and give the kids a sense of security and belonging in the library. Starting next week, I will have 3 group of students in the library from 10:30am to 1:30pm. Allah SWT willing I plan to let them do craft activities related to Islamic themes. With 40% and 50% discount coupons from Michaels and Hobby Lobby, I can get craft supplies at low prices for the students.