Life's like that!

February 09, 2009

Character Education: Kindness

All praise be to Allah SWT last Saturday I was at the Dar Al Huda Islamic Center to talk to kids about kindness.

The objective of the class was to get them talk about how we can be kind people by performing kindness of actions. I feel that sometimes these topics get taken for granted, and we need to let our children understand the positive and negative effects of the presence and absence of kindness in the society.

For the craft activity, the kids drew a 'Kindness Cloud' with big raindrops that contained messages of what kindness means to them. Some suggestions included 'being helpful', 'being nice', 'respect others' and 'sharing'. After that, they shared among themselves how they were being kind to others and what type of kindness they have received from people.

For homework, I gave the kids small booklets that was made from half a piece of construction paper folded into four panels. On the front of the booklets, the kids wrote the title 'My Kindness Diary' and their names. Their assignment was to write and draw how someone performed an act of kindness for them during the week. Students who turn in this assignment get to pick a prize next Saturday.

In between classes, I spoke with the principal and one of the board members about my plan to talk about character education with the kids. They agreed with my plan and said that to let them know if I needed any supplies. I also got permission to put up students' art work on the cafeteria walls so that parents and community members can see them.

I was really happy when the board member brought about 15 Islamic books for children, markers and construction papers to the library. They were purchased by a teacher and I am really glad that the library is getting positive support.

Labels: