Life's like that!

August 12, 2009

Education options in Texas

I have been exploring several education options for daughter even though I am quite set on homeschooling her.

There are several charter schools and public schools in our area. Charter schools are 70% funded by the State of Texas, while 30% of the remaining school budget is obtained through donations and fund-raising. Charter schools tend to cater to different religious belief or demographic e.g. Catholics, Christians, African Americans, Chinese etc.

Children attend public schools for free of charge, but children are exposed to others from different backgrounds e.g. immigrants, multiracial, different learning needs etc.

Yesterday I questioned myself whether I feel secure for daughter to attend school on her own (out of my sight). I don't want to be over-protective but I want to make sure that daughter is in a safe environment.

I believe that homeschooling allows daughter to have the freedom to pursue her interest areas, and more time and creativity for me to facilitate her learning process.

I think I just have to have faith that Allah SWT will guide me on this homeschooling journey.

Labels: