Life's like that!

August 04, 2009

Video: Praise vs Encouragement




Taken from here:

Praise

Let's face it, who doesn't enjoy praise? It feels good to know someone likes us or likes what we've done. Praise motivates good behavior – temporarily. Do I only act this way as long as I'm receiving praise? What happens when it's taken away? What are the conditions or parameters to ensure I continue to receive praise?

  • "You're such a good girl"
  • "You did it just like I told you to."
  • "All A's? You deserve a reward."
  • "I'm glad you listened to me."
  • "You really know what makes me proud."
  • "I'm proud of you."

Often, when praise is given, the receiver feels pressure to live up to the standards or expectations of someone else. Excessive, long-term praise can inhibit children from gaining independence because they rely heavily on the praise of those in authority positions.

Encouragement

Encouragement is empowering. There are no conditions and it isn't judgmental. The receiver is encouraged to make judgments of their own behavior, work, and ultimately, worth.

  • "I really appreciate your help."
  • "I knew you could do it."
  • "You did your best and you didn't give up."
  • "You must be proud of yourself."
  • "I have faith in you."
  • "I trust your decision."
  • "I love you no matter what."

Labels: