Life's like that!

July 28, 2009

7 Basic Human Needs for Good Mental Health and Emotional Well-being

Although I have settled down into a daily routine of taking care of daughter and household matters, I still can't help but wonder if that is my calling.

This article helps to evaluate my current state of mental mind.

7 Basic Human Needs for Good Mental Health and Emotional Well-being

1. The need to give and receive attention.

"No Man Is An Island"
Without regular quality contact with other people, mental condition, emotional state and behaviour can suffer quite drastically. This is often particularly obvious in elderly people who have become isolated.

Self-diagnosis: Right now my circle of friends is quite small. I am quite picky about befriending people because my personality is compatible with people who are easy-going, family-oriented, and have a generous heart. I am thankful that my dear sister and her family are in Ohio, so we can get together anytime we can.

2. Taking heed of the mind body connection.

This is so important, and so often neglected. Without correct and regular nutrition, sleep and exercise, your psychological state can suffer considerably.

Self-diagnosis: I have lost much of my appetite due to the hot summer temperature. Also I have been sleeping later than usual because I have a lot on mind about moving to a bigger place for daughter's sake. I think I need to eat more veggies/beans and go back to sleeping early so that I can wake up recharged for the day.

3. The need for purpose, goals and meaning.

"The devil will make work for idle hands to do."
Perhaps the overriding element that sets human beings apart from other animals is the ability to identify, analyse and solve problems. This is what enabled us to develop to where we have.

If this ability is under-used, the imagination can start to create problems of its own - perhaps in an attempt to give you something to do because it is not occupied doing anything else.

Regardless, if a person is deprived of the outward focus and satisfaction created by achieving goals, mental illness is often close behind.

Self-diagnosis: Since I stopped working full-time last year, I have been trying to focus my energy and attention on daughter. I guess working outside the home provides a sense of instant gratification whereas taking care of daughter can literally drive me up the wall some times. I do have to remind myself that providing the best care for daughter is the best of me and her, so that I will try to retain my sanity.

4. Connection to something bigger than oneself.

Tying in with the need for meaning, this basic need provides a context for a person. It gives them a reason for being, over and above their own personal needs, that has been shown to benefit the immune system, mental health and happiness.

The obvious candidate would be religion, but can also be an idea shared with others, a club, charity work. In fact, anything that takes the focus off the self.

Self-diagnosis: With more free time now, I thought of enrolling in an online Islamic course. Allah SWT willing I hope to do so for the coming fall semester at SunniPath.com (Thanks to Sr. Nor for letting me know about this web site.)

5. The need for creativity and stimulation.

Learning something new, expanding horizons, improving on existing skills all provide a sensation of progress and achievement. Without this, a person can feel worthless, or that there is no real reason for their being.

Self-diagnosis: I am learning more about homesteading, and how to cook more recipes from scratch. I think this gives me a sense of purpose and order amidst taking care of daughter.

6. The need to feel understood and connected.

Tying in with the need for attention, it seems that people have a need to share their ideas, hopes and dreams with others close to them. For some, this can be as simple a talking to a loved pet, but for most of us, it requires that we have at least one individual with whom we can converse 'on the same level'.

Self-diagnosis: Some times I wonder if husband realizes that being a SAHM is not easy for me. Although I love to be with daughter, I often find that I miss the social interaction with staff and students at the school. All praise be to Allah SWT I have a car to drive to my friends' place regularly, but watching over daughter's behavior can be quite stressful for me too. It seems we cannot have the best of both worlds.

7. The need to feel a sense of control.

"All your eggs in one basket."
The results of total loss of control over your surroundings, relationships or body are not hard to imagine, and have been well documented.

Self-diagnosis: I am still struggling with letting go of my career and not working outside the home. Not having financial independence has been hard for me to accept, but I need to trust in Allah SWT that we will have sufficient provision for our needs.

Labels: