Life's like that!

March 12, 2010

Chicken Poultry Netting - Solution for Pet Enclosure

I enjoy working with my hands, and using chicken poultry netting (48 inches x 25 feet) to make animal enclosures was quite a good challenge for me.

Yesterday I used chicken poultry netting to construct an enclosure for Niko's play area. I used wooden dowel sticks to provide some structural support for the netting.

Niko has been doing her #1 and #2 business in the play area, and it was difficult for me to discipline her not to do so when she can hide in the cardboard houses (left side of cage on the floor). So now I can clearly see when she does that and take the appropriate action to train her not to do so. Basically I am using voice training on Niko by saying firmly and softly 'No, no, no, no, Niko' when I see her peeing or pooping. Hopefully it won't be long before she understands that she is to do her businesses in the cage only. Allah SWT willing when she is trained, I will let her explore the rest of the house under supervision.


This morning I used the remaining netting to make this enclosure for the ladies. After reading from other chicken owners how their flocks enjoy pecking bugs and veggie scraps from their compost pile, I decided to do the same. This makes it easier to prevent the ladies from 'wandering' to my garden bed and also to supervise them.

Tomorrow we will have to go to the animal farm again to buy chicken food. Allah SWT willing hope that we will get some the third time.

Labels: ,