Life's like that!

July 19, 2010

Quotes: Endurance

When I was in secondary school, I used to write my favorite quotes in a notebook that I carried in my backpack all the time. I learned so much from reading quotes and they have greatly influence my thoughts on life. My mother always tell me to learn from the wise (and stay away from fools) to have a fruitful and rewarding life. I think I should start recording her words of wisdom for DD1 and DD2 to read when they are older.

“Those who are firm, enduring, simple and unpretentious are the nearest to virtue” - Confucius

“Enduring setbacks while maintaining the ability to show others the way to go forward is a true test of leadership.” - Nitin Nohria

“Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something to do with struggling, enduring, and accomplishing.” - Unknown

“True character arises from a deeper well than religion. It is the internalization of moral principles of a society, augmented by those tenets personally chosen by the individual, strong enough to endure through trials of solitude and adversity. The principles are fitted together into what we call integrity, literally the integrated self, wherein personal decisions feel good and true. Character is in turn the enduring source of virtue. It stands by itself and excites admiration in others.” - Edward O. Wilson

“No idea can succeed except at the expense of sacrifice; no one ever escapes without enduring strain from the struggle of life.” - Ernest Renan (French Philosopher and Historian, 1823-1892)

“There will have to be rigid and iron discipline before we achieve anything great and enduring, and that discipline will not come by mere academic argument and appeal to reason and logic. Discipline is learnt in the school of adversity.” - Mohandas Gandhi

Labels: ,