Life's like that!

September 16, 2008

Domestic Divas

Praise be to Allah SWT, yesterday morning I brought my daughter to visit an Arabic language teacher, Sr. Nahil, who used to teach at the school where I am subbing this year. She is just so cheerful, happy and energetic and kids at school love her. I got to know her better towards the end of the 2006-2007 school year and I regret not knowing more about her earlier. She decided to stay at home after that school year to spend more time with her son who is now in 7th grade. We both agreed that it is hard to adjust staying home after working outside for many years. The greatest challenge is to find interesting tasks that engages us intellectually and to shift our emphasis from professional fulfillment to domestic accomplishments. Think of this as transferring our love and passion from our workplace to our home, and let our love spill into our cooking, interior decorating, cleaning and washing.

Come to think of it, I am more at peace with myself since I stay home with my daughter. I can attend to my daughter's needs more readily and help to soothe my husband's stress level after a hard day's work. Even husband has begin to shower more praises to my cooking lately (and this really surprises me!). I have to agree with Sr. Nahil that when we put our heart and love into the home, that's when everyone benefits. This also echoes my dear sister's experience as a SAHM. I've seen the term "domestic diva" and I personally think this is a much more politically correst term than SAHM.

I am looking forward to bringing my daughter to Sr. Nahil for Arabic lessons regularly after Ramadan. I do hope to learn the language well enought to read the Holy Quran in the Arabic language.