Life's like that!

September 17, 2008

Hope - A Cure for Devastation

On Monday, my sister's friend residing in Massachusetts called to check if we are alright after Hurricane Ike left a path of destruction in Galveston, Houston and other coast cities along the Gulf of Texas. I'm so glad to hear her voice and she was relieved when she heard that we are not affected by the hurricane. (I did asked her how I can stay sane with my 2 year old "mini hurricane" tearing up my things and giving me headache during meal times.)

Yesterday I heard on the public radio station about how a Galveston resident's parents would throw hurricane parties to ride out the storm whenever the city was threatened by this devastating weather phenomenon. Sometimes they would get so drunk that when the hurricane hit their home, they were too dipsy to realize the danger and be indifferent to the storm. Each time the house withstood the storm, his father would feel a sense of pride in beating the storm and surviving it. And it is also the feeling of hopefulness that he can rebuild whatever that was taken away by the storm.

Well as many as ten thousand Galveston residents chose to ride out hurricane Ike just like they've always done, except this time nothing much of their houses is left due to the category 2 hurricane's devastating effect. Many people need to be rescued from the fast rising water and at this time it is not certain how many may have drowned in their own homes.

I truly feel sorry for those who suffer tremendous loss to their homes and physical possessions. I hope they'll recover emotionally soon from the hurricane's effects and remember that they will always have wonderful memories of their lifes in their hearts. If I were to be from those areas, I do not know if I will want to return to live in those damaged areas, and I admire those who chose to live their lives bravely and are determine to rebuild their lives where their hearts are.