Life's like that!

October 21, 2008

Hocus, Pocus, Everybody Focus!

Today I subbed for the 5th grade teacher who has been sick since yesterday.

In order to get students' attention, I would say "1, 2, 3, eyes on me" and they would reply "1, 2, eyes on you."

One of the students taught us a new rhyme "hocus, pocus, everybody focus" and I was able to grab their attention with this rhyme.

It was a challenging day for me because I had to "pull out all my tricks from my hat" to keep students focused on their tasks. I gave them 5 chances to earn a game before I leave for the day, but unfortunately they had a hard time following directions. Eventually the game was forfeited and they looked shocked and disappointed. I hate it when this happens, but they have to learn their lesson and understand that they are responsible for consequences of their actions.

As my last lesson ended at 11:30am, I visited a friend, Sr. Rebeka and her 3.5 year old son, for chitchating. She was so generous to prepare lunch for me and daughter. Since I am fasting today, I fed daughter some of the delicious fried noodle and took a portion home for dinner.

Later in the afternoon at home, I read first few pages of the book "Fires in the Middle School Bathroom: advice for teachers from middle schoolers." Middle schoolers in the United States are kids from 10-14 years old. They "experience some of the dramatic physical, social, emotional, and cognitive changes of early adolescence." And due to feelings of insecurity of who they are, they sometimes do goofy stuff to get attention (mostly seeking admiration) from their peers.

All praise be to Allah SWT, after reading the first chapter of this book, I have a better understanding of the 5th grade students. I just hope that I can apply some of the tips that I found in this book the next time I sub in their class.