Life's like that!

December 11, 2008

Be thankful in time of sickness

Since last Sunday I have been visited by the flu virus. The usual friends-fever, sore throat, stuffy nose, coughing. Since I am still having infection in my nasal area, I decided to stay home today and tomorrow even though school is on. Yesterday I called another substitute teacher, Sr. Rebeka, to work. All praise to Allah SWT she is available on both days.

For the last few days, while lying in bed to rest after I took Tylenol multi-symptom cold congestion, I listened to the news on National Public Radio (NPR). Although I was feeling miserable and sick, I still felt blessed with a husband to take care of me, a warm place to rest, and means to buy medicine while many people in the world are undergoing prosecution and suffering. For me it is important to remember that there are people who are less fortunate than me and that I should be thankful to Allah SWT for all the good things in my life.

Here are some updates from my work at the school and mosque library.


Last Saturday students brought models of the 3 pillars in the City of Mina, Saudi Arabia (Al-Jamarat). They were quite creative in making the paper pillars stand upright. I also gave out pencils with the customized inscription "Dar Al Huda Masjid Star Student" to those who have perfect attendance for 4 weeks. Students who got the pencils were thrilled and happy about this gift.
Two weeks ago, students made these models of the Zam Zam Well that is located in Makkah, Saudi Arabia. All praise be to Allah SWT almost everyone reused cups and tin cans to make the well. I'm really glad that my message of "Reuse, Reduce and Recycle" reached some of the students.
Students who submitted their projects received a certificate card, and got to pick either an eraser, a marble, a popping cap, or a balloon.

On Dec. 4th, the school held a Hajj simulation exercise for students from Pre-K to 11th grade. Parents were invited to witness this exercise and the whole school was filled with excitement about this event. The teacher-in-charge, Sr. Massouda, put in a lot of effort and worked very hard to make this event a success. Lots of volunteers and other teachers also pitched in. The Ka'bah model, made of wood and covered with fabric, was made by a 4th grade student's parents. It was really well made and resembles closely to the actual one in Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
All praise be to Allah SWT this event was a success and well-organized.