Life's like that!

May 25, 2009

Self-Sufficient Family a.k.a. Homesteading Family

As I find out more about how to be self-sufficient, e.g. grow our own veggies, bake our own cakes+cookies+brownies, sew our own clothes etc., I am developing a homesteading mindset.

According to The Homestead Mindset, a homesteading family has some of the following characteristics:

# · Using, re-using, recycling into new uses what one already owns. Known to some as 'making-do.'
# · Careful thought before purchasing any item(s), not just large ticket ones.
# · Making from scratch any number of items: food, clothing, etc.
# · Somewhat of a minimalist lifestyle.
# · Gardening, preserving and stretching food dollars.
# · Free from 'keeping-up-with-the-Jones' disease.
# · Joy in creative depravity.

Also these are the questions that a homesteading family would think about before purchasing any items:

1. "Can I make this thing myself for less expense?" (food, furniture, gadget, etc.)

2. "Do I have something already that works in place of this just as well?"

3. "How often will I use this?" (Hint: If it's not on a regular basis - it's not purchased.)

4. "Can I do without it?" (If you've been fine without it for a while now...hmmmm.....see next question)

5. "Do we NEED it or just want it?"

Allah SWT willing I hope to continue to keep up on our path to be self-sufficient in this world.

Labels: