Life's like that!

September 09, 2009

Cooking Spur

Yesterday evening I spent about 2 hours in the kitchen to prepare dinner.

This was certainly a rare occasion because I rarely do so. Usually I am in the kitchen for only 15-30 minutes to prepare any meal. I don't know why but it's like suddenly I got inspired to put some effort into preparing a variety of food for my family. I thought I better dive right into cooking when I am motivated to do so. Too bad I didn't take any pictures because I was too hungry to do so.

First I pan fried a fish for husband and daughter. Although I cannot stand the smell of fish, I did so because they love to eat this dish.

Then I used the breadmachine to make Kaya Jam with 1 cup sugar, 1 cup coconut milk, 4 eggs and 15 Pandan leaves, which took about 1 hour.

While waiting for the Kaya to be ready, I prepared Thai Spring Roll from a Thai cookbook 'Quick and Easy Thai Cuisine: Lemon Grass Cookbook'.

Ingredients: 4 servings
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cup shredded celery
2 cup shredded carrot
3 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 egg yolk, beaten (to seal wrappers)
12 spring roll wrappers

I also prepared Mee Goreng, Indian fried noodle, even though I cooked rice. I got the recipe from 'Joy of Cooking: Local Delights (Nan Yang Xiao Chi)'

Ingredients:
1 tomato, cut into wedges
200g fresh yellow noodles/whole grain spaghetti
30g bean sprouts (scalded)
1 boiled potato (skinned, and cubed)
50g bean curd cake (cubed, deep-fried till golden)
1 egg
1 chilli (sliced)

Seasoning
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp light soy sauce


Somehow I felt so much better when I ate the Kaya with butter on toasted bread. It almost brought me back to my time in Singapore. I guess this is what comfort food is all about.

I am so looking forward to bringing a jar of homemade Kaya to my dear sister, nephew and niece in Ohio.

Labels: