Life's like that!

November 18, 2009

Chicken Run for the Ladies

I am so glad that husband constructed a chicken run for the ladies over last weekend. It is a nicely fenced area for them to exercise, scratch for bugs and get some sunshine in the afternoon. Our next door neighbor has two cats that roam around our yard freely, so the fenced area provides protection from predators.
Since we covered the chicken house with this blue tarp for added warmth on cold days, the three ladies love to hang out in the chicken run.

See the three dented areas in the picture below? This is where the ladies take their dust bath in the chicken run. Apparently they need to do so to keep lice and mites in check. I have not seen them rolling in the dirt yet. But when I do, I will try to remember to take a picture.


While this lady was posing for me in the chicken run,

... the other two were busy helping themselves to breakfast.

The top light brown lady is smaller than the other two, so I guess she is ranked lowest in the pecking order. This means that she has to wait for her turn to eat and drink after the other two are done. Fortunately they stay together most of the time, so I am not worried about her being lonely.

I am really enjoying knowing more about keeping chickens from this blog.

Labels: