Life's like that!

July 19, 2010

When it is time to go...

Death is a sensitive topic that people seldom talk about. Every person in the right frame of mind has the right to make well-informed decisions about his or her health. If I were to be diagnosed with an incurable illness, I wouldn't want any treatment to prolong my life. I would just want to live out the rest of my life with my family around me. Just give me some pain medication so that I am still able to function as a productive human being until my last breathe. And ask Allah SWT to make it easy for me and my family.


Americans are treated, and overtreated, to death
By MARILYNN MARCHIONE, Ap Medical Writer – Mon Jun 28, 2010

The doctors finally let Rosaria Vandenberg go home.

For the first time in months, she was able to touch her 2-year-old daughter who had been afraid of the tubes and machines in the hospital. The little girl climbed up onto her mother's bed, surrounded by family photos, toys and the comfort of home. They shared one last tender moment together before Vandenberg slipped back into unconsciousness.

Vandenberg, 32, died the next day.

That precious time at home could have come sooner if the family had known how to talk about alternatives to aggressive treatment, said Vandenberg's sister-in-law, Alexandra Drane.

Instead, Vandenberg, a pharmacist in Franklin, Mass., had endured two surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation for an incurable brain tumor before she died in July 2004.

"We would have had a very different discussion about that second surgery and chemotherapy. We might have just taken her home and stuck her in a beautiful chair outside under the sun and let her gorgeous little daughter play around her — not just torture her" in the hospital, Drane said.

Read the rest of the article here.

Labels: ,