Life's like that!

December 23, 2010

Learning Journey in a Classroom

Yesterday was the last day of school for students.

After five days of first semester exams, students are now enjoying their winter break. Today teachers and support staff have one day to wrap up for this semester and do housekeeping in the classrooms.

All praise be to Allah SWT, I have learned so much about a teacher's job scope and responsibilities from the fourth grade homeroom teacher. She is always so generous to share her experiences with me, whether its about dealing with classroom drama or preparing lesson plans. She is also generous in giving encouragement when I needed it. I couldn't have ask for a better mentor than her.

I am just amazed by how much I can be energized by students' enthusiasm. Whenever I feel tired or moody, seeing the students' smiles always lift up my spirit. I know that even if I have to force myself not to let my moods affect me, eventually I will forget about it by focusing on students' needs. I really enjoy praying next to students in school. When we are praying together, we are no longer in a teacher-student relationship. Instead we are sisters-in-islam.

In addition, I have a better understanding now about how effective teaching techniques can engage students to learn. For example, instead of just standing in front of the class and give a lecture about soil, students can be better engaged to absorb new information about this topic through getting their feedback about what they already know and what they are interested to find out.

After reading the book 'Teaching with Love and Logic', I decided to implement the techniques on students. All praise be to Allah SWT, I have been able to do so with some success. I stopped nagging at students to keep on tasks. Instead I gave them choices to either complete their work in class or do so on their own during lunch. Allah SWT willing I'll read the book during the winter break to review how I can better apply those techniques when school opens next year.

Implementing the Accelerated Reader program for 29 student was a challenge. First we assigned reading levels for individual student based on their ITBS reading score. Then we set a goal for each student to reach for each quarter (nine weeks). For example, student A's reading level is between 3 and 5. So he should be reading books that fall between these numbers. Then if we think that he should be about to read enough books and pass the reading tests to reach a goal of 25 points, that will be the goal for the second quarter. This week we set up a computer in the classroom for them to take reading and vocabulary tests for books that they read. Previously they will have to go to the library and get the librarian's assistance to take tests. Thanks to the homeroom teacher's daily assessment and intervention, students who are failing their reading tests are now writing chapter summaries before they continue reading subsequent chapters. This will help them have a better comprehension of the book that they read. Allah SWT willing, then they will pass the reading test easier.

Although I will miss the students during the winter break, I can't wait for it to begin so that I can chill out with DD1 and DD2, and get to have fun with them at home!

Labels: