Life's like that!

January 14, 2011

Professional Development

Today is parent-teacher conference day at the school.

All praise be to Allah SWT, the class and I made it through the last four days without major mishaps. Since the 4th grade homeroom teacher has taken this week off, all conferences are rescheduled to next week.

As the teacher's assistant, I do not need to meet with parents. So I signed up for two online courses with the Region 10 Education Center as part of my professional development. One of the courses is using appropriate questioning strategies to promote students' understanding. As a teacher's assistant, I help students with class work and this course will guide me on getting students to think more critically. The other one is about drawing students to read interesting new book titles that were published recently. I choose this course because when I go back to work as a librarian, I will be able to do booktalks to students.

I am thankful that I am able to take these online courses today and not have to worry about driving one hour to attend classes. Allah SWT willing I hope to sign up for more online courses that will help me to be a better teacher and librarian.

Labels: