Life's like that!

June 01, 2012

President Eisenhower's Birthplace

Last Saturday, husband and I brought the kiddos to see President Eisenhower's birthplace in Denison, Texas.

All praise be to Allah SWT, the tour guide started the tour at 1:50pm when we got there at 1:45pm. This is husband's first visit to a USA president's birthplace. Although DD1 does not understand the educational aspect of visiting this president's birth, I want her to see how people in the early 20th century lived simply lives in rural USA. When I was in school, I always wondered how social studies relate to our daily lives and the impact of historical events on the current society. To make social studies relevant and engaging to my kids, I want them to have personal experience and reflection on past and current issues through tours and hands-on learning.

We toured the bedroom where President Eisenhower was born, the parlor (living room), the dining room and kitchen on the first floor. Since the second story was not accessible by visitors, we toured the vegetable garden.

Labels: ,