Life's like that!

September 22, 2008



Yesterday a good friend from school, Sr. Malika, came to help me decorate the banner and cards. We had a good time chatting and our daughters (hers is almost four years old) played together.

This morning at around 7am I got a call from school to substitute for the 5th grade teacher. Actually I plan to be at school for about two hours to sell these handmade greeting cards. So I agreed to stand in for the teacher and just sell those cards during my free time. I managed to get to school by 8:10am, and was just in time to inform teachers and students about the cards sale during morning assembly. A dear friend, Sr. Massouda, helped me to hold up the banner while I made the announcement.

During my break I brought some samples to the teachers in the portables and told them about the sale. During lunch time I put out the cards in the cafeteria. I am glad to have 3 students from 5th grade to help me during the sale (I had a lucky draw to pick 3 students because most students wanted to help). All praise be to Allah SWT teachers and students who saw these cards were very impressed. Teachers who saw the cards thought that I should sell them at $1 or $2 each. I told them that the rest of the "unseen" proceeds will go to my account in heaven, Allah SWT willing. Many students looked like they are in a candy store (can't wait to get the cards and having difficulty picking one because they all love the cards that I made). They even asked me to reserve cards for them when they bring money tomorrow. When asked who made these cards, I told them proudly but humbly that I made them. Boy it felt good to own my own handmade products! Several teachers bought cards immediately after they saw them, and I'm thankful for their support.

My intention to sell these cards is to show students a way to support the school just by trying our best. Allah SWT willing tomorrow I will be able to sell all the cards.