Life's like that!

December 18, 2008

Indoor Herb Garden


When I got the flu two weeks ago, it was miserable for me to have to stay indoors all day and not able to see green plants. Somehow seeing green plants help to lift my spirits and cheer me up.

A few days ago I started to think about having an indoor herb garden. Husband is quite supportive of this idea since he loves to have fresh herbs in his salad. Yesterday I surfed the internet for ideas on planting herbs like rosemary, chives, lavender etc. Seems like a lot of people in North America just plant their herbs in small-medium size pots. Looking at pictures of fresh herbs http://www.herbalgardens.com/articles/indoor-herb-garden.html and juicy tomatoes harvested from the garden http://inmykitchengarden.blogspot.com/ really inspire me to give it a try .

This morning I brought daughter to Calloway's Nursery http://www.calloways.com/ and Lowes http://www.lowes.com/ to get some supplies.

At Calloway, I bought a small pot of Rosemary 'Arp' (center pot) and Lavender 'Goodwin Creek' (in green pot)for about $5.

At Lowes, I picked up a small pot of Ivy "Little Hermann" (the plant in the red pot) for less than $3. I also got a fluorescent lamp to help the plants grow better, Allah SWT willing.

The cactus plant on the most left was given by my mother and sister to my husband in October 2006. All praise be to Allah SWT it survived sweltering summers and harsh winters. I decided to move it indoor to see if it grows better.

Now I just have to remember to talk to the plants everyday to keep them happy :)

Rosmarinus officinalis 'Arp'
Description: a perennial that grows 3 to 5 feet tall and spreads 2 to 3 feet. It prefers full sun, and is the best rosemary for colder climates (survives to -10°F with protection of mulch and/or burlap wrap). It has an open, bushy habit, gray-green, lemony-scented leaves and blue flowers. Grow in ordinary, well-drained soil. Never let it dry out and never let it sit in water.

Lavender 'Goodwin Creek'
Description: an unusual hybrid that will thrive as a houseplant in a sunny window. It produces spikes of deep blue, pungently fragrant flowers above a lush mound of silver foliage. The plant is also hardy to Zone 7 (0 degrees F) and warmer, where it may be transplanted to the garden in spring, leaving this attractive 7-inch, blue-green ceramic pot with matching saucer for other jobs.

Ivy 'Little Hermann'
Botanic Name: Hedera helix
Plant Care: Water plant over the sink to let excess water leach out. Grows fairly well in bright indirect light. Temperature range 55-72 degree F. Keep the soil barely moist. Fertilize the plant every 3-4 months.

Labels: