Life's like that!

April 27, 2009

Dumpster Diving

It is not unusual to find discarded furniture at the dumpster.

But I always wonder if people ever think of donating them to the local thrift store or homeless shelter to benefit the poor and needy.

The seats on these green chairs are ripped, but they can be fixed easily and reused. The wooden 3-tier drawer cabinet is shaky, but it can too be fixed easily. Knowing that husband would not be happy if I were to take these items to our place and fix it, I lingered for a few minutes before pulling myself away.


I found a used plastic container in good condition except it was covered with grass and cobweb. So I took it back and cleaned it so that I can store daughter's toys in it.

When I was growing up, my mother would bring home discarded furniture in good condition and fixed them up. She either let us use them or send them to her relatives who needed them. I guess I learned from her not to waste resources and reuse items as much as possible.

Allah SWT willing I hope that daughter will learn to reuse things as she grows up.

Labels: