Life's like that!

May 25, 2009

Appreciating My Roots

When I was growing up in Singapore, my family celebrated traditional Chinese festivals such as Chinese New Year, Lantern Festival, Qingming Festival, Mid-Autumn Festival and Double Seventh Festival. It was fun to spend time with my family on these occasions.

For a long time, I resisted appreciating my Chinese roots and recognizing the significance of celebrating these festivals.

The following phrase from the Holy Quran made me realize that we are created into different tribes with different strengths. We should understand how we can fully optimize our strengths to make this world better, safer and greener for future generations. As my daughter grows older, I want her to understand traditional Chinese values and positive influences of the Chinese on the world.

"O Mankind, We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other. Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is he who is the most righteous of you" (Quran 49:13).

O people, Remember that your Lord is One. An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a black has no superiority over white, nor a white has any superiority over black, except by piety and good action (Taqwa). Indeed the best among you is the one with the best character (Taqwa). Listen to me. Did I convey this to you properly? People responded, Yes. O messenger of God, The Prophet then said, then each one of you who is there must convey this to everyone not present. (Excerpt from the Prophet's Last Sermon as in Baihiqi)

Allah SWT willing I am going to learn how to make traditional Chinese food e.g. dim sum from scratch and teach daughter when I master the technique.

Labels: