Life's like that!

May 29, 2009

The Pain of Losing a Farm


It must be devastating to lose the freedom of living off your land and be dependent on others for your food.

When I read The Milk Mans Wife's blog about the pain that small farm owners go through when they lose their land and cattle, it got me thinking about the pain that farmers in Singapore must have felt when the Singapore government took over their land and made them live in high rise concrete buildings in the early 60s and 70s.

I can understand how horrible it must be for them to surrender their rights to grow their own food and raise their own animals. To have to be confined in small apartment space compared to the vast farmland must have been depressing. To not be able to touch and smell the wonderful soil must have been torturing. And to have to pay for food that they used to grow must have been awful.

Now that I am trying to grow my own food, the satisfaction from this experience is indescribable.

I have never thought that I can depend on my own ability to grow vegetables, and I certainly am still amazed at this discovery.

I have more respect for the effort that farmers put into growing veggies, and I check the fridge regularly for veggies that might expire soon so that I can cook them first.

When I go back to Singapore I have to visit the following farms:
Bollywood Veggies - 100 Neo Tiew Road, Singapore 719026
Dragon Fruit Farm - 1 Lim Chu Kang Lane 4, Singapore 718858
Hay Diaries -
No.3 Lim Chu Kang Agrotech Park Lane 4, Singapore 718859
Kin Yan Agrotech Organic Farm - 220, Neo Tiew Crescent, Singapore 718830

More about Singapore farms on Library.ThinkQuest.com

Labels: