Life's like that!

February 22, 2010

Mesclun and Carrots

Last summer my attempt to grow Mesclun was unsuccessful because I grew it too close to the hot weather in the summer.

Mesclun is a salad mix of assorted small, young salad leaves which originated in Provence, France.

This time I plan to grow it indoors and we will see if we can get some yummy salad from the harvest. This morning I started some seeds in a strawberry container and cover it in a plastic bag to trap in humidity and heat to help the seeds germinate.


Since I read that carrots are one of the easiest root veggies to grow, I am trying to grow some petite carrots that will grow between 3 to 4 inches long. By using the square foot gardening principle, I divided this dish pan into 16 squares (4 inches per square) and planted 1 carrot seed per square. Allah SWT willing the carrots will grow right in this container and we will be able to harvest them in the first week of May.


Since I needed the blue dish pan that previous housed two broccoli seedlings, I transplanted the broccoli seedlings into a milk carton and a yogurt container.

Broccoli seedling transplanted in a yogurt container.

Moss rose seeds that I planted in the seed starting tray on Feb. 6th are sprouting well.

Moss rose seedlings.

Allah SWT willing this week I plan to set up containers in the front yard to get ready to grow some pole and bush beans on March 15th, the average last frost date for our region.

Can't wait to see the garden growing!

Labels: