Life's like that!

March 27, 2010

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Last night husband and I watched the show 'Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution'.

I am still in shock after seeing how in one elementary school classroom, the children had no idea that french fries come from potatoes, and were unable to identify tomatoes, eggplants and other common veggies. In order to spend less on food to feed school children, school administration choose to provide processed food and drinks for breakfast and lunch. Even some of the parents only feed their children frozen pizzas, donuts and hamburgers for all their daily meals - no greens like lettuce and cabbage, and no fruits.

This is why so many young children in the United States are obese and getting diabetes at an early age.

All praise be to Allah SWT I am so thankful that husband and I grew up in Asia where we ate veggies and fruits on a daily basis. I don't stock up on candy and soda at home. The only natural sweet stuff we buy are fruits and 100% fruit juice. I only bake a cake once a month, and we rarely eat out at all. I hope that daughter will grow up knowing where food comes from, eating healthy and be conscious about her choice of food.

Allah SWT willing I hope that as more Americans watch this show, they will examine their own diet and choose natural foods over processed one for themselves and their family.

Labels: ,