Life's like that!

March 27, 2010

Two Dead Quails - Who Dunnit?

This morning when checking on the quails, I noticed two of the five quails are not in the cage.

Then I found this.


At the end of the quail run, I found a half-eaten quail and a dead one. I was stunned by the horrific death of our quails. After about 5 seconds I went to check on the other three quails. One of the white bobtail quails has blood stains on both wings, but she appeared to be walking alright.

I waited for about 1 hour until husband woke up to tell him the bad news. He was as shocked as me to see the carcasses. I asked him to bury the dead quails as soon as possible while I gave daughter breakfast. Later he told me he buried them in the garden bed.

Initially we thought that the neighbor's cat might be the culprit. Then husband remembered that a neighbor told him about a hawk flying around the neighborhood. We concluded that since only a hawk will be able to pluck the feathers and meat through the chicken wire, so it will be the only logical suspect for this incident.

I feel so sad to witness this crime scene, and asked husband to modify the quail run to prevent this tragedy from happening again. Until then, the quail run is off limits to the quails.

Labels: