Life's like that!

December 04, 2010

"Article of the Week" - writing ideas for middle and high school

This web site is recommended by the 4th grade homeroom teacher.

"Part of the reason my students have such a hard time reading is because they bring little prior knowledge and background to the written page. They can decode the words, but the words remain meaningless without a foundation of knowledge.

To help build my students’ prior knowledge, I assign them an "Article of the Week" every Monday morning. By the end of the school year I want them to have read 35 to 40 articles about what is going on in the world. It is not enough to simply teach my students to recognize theme in a given novel; if my students are to become literate, they must broaden their reading experiences into real-world text."


- http://www.kellygallagher.org/resources/articles.html

Labels: