Life's like that!

May 21, 2008

Sick leave for daughter

My daughter has fever since last night. I gave her Motrin, a fever reducer, but the fever came back. I suspect that it's related to the rashes around her pee pee area since last week. I asked a friend who teaches kindergarten and she said it could be yeast infection. She asked if my daughter has been picking things from the floor and putting them in her mouth and I said yes. She said it's a common problem for girls. Usually when my daughter is sick, I prefer to take the day off work and take care of her. So I called the school office to let them know. The KG teacher called me this morning and I told her about the fever.

All praise be to Allah SWT I called the pediatrician office this morning and Dr. O is available at 4:30pm. Husband left work at 3pm to bring us to the doctor's clinic. On the way there, husband told me that he just got a performance evaluation from his boss. Generally they are quite happy with his performance as a software developer (he is also taking on responsibilities as a database administrator and software engineer), he needs to work on his communication skills (aka English spoken and written skills) with external contractors. I encouraged him to consider working on this during his free time.

Dr. O confirmed that DD1 has yeast infection that could be caused by a virus. She also said that DD1 has swollen lymph node and blisters on the back of her throat and around the tonsil area. I'm thankful that she doesn't have ear infection. She told us that if the fever persists for the next 4-5 days, and the yeast infection doesn't go away in the next 3-4 days, we'll have to schedule another appointment. The cool thing about this visit is that Dr. O is able to email the prescription medicine to Walgreens pharmacy and we just have to collect it on our way home. So this cuts down on our waiting time. The pharmacist said that the yeast infection should clear up in 2-4 days since we'll be applying it 4 times daily.

On the way home, I told husband that I've informed some teachers about my decision not to return to work next school year, and I also told them that my husband is happy about my decision. He reminded me, again, that he didn't want me to work when our girl was 4 months old. Well, as much as I enjoy my time at the school with my colleagues and students, I just want to fast forward the next two weeks (I learnt this phrase from a 2nd grade teacher) and hang out with my dear sister.