Life's like that!

September 23, 2008

Handmade Eid Cards Sold Out!

All praise be to Allah SWT, all 150 handmade cards are sold out. Personally I am touched by the wonderful and positive comments from teachers and students about the card designs. I don't think that there is anything that I would have done differently, except to make more card designs that I really like because they happen to be everyone's favorites too!

This project has been well-planned and organized thanks to the support of teachers. It has also taught me some vaulable lessons during the process:

1. Have confidence in your own products
Although I love the card designs that I made, I did not expect that others will share the same interest. Being a first time card designer, I think this experience has given me a confidence boost in my ability as an artist and a sales person. Also, I didn't quite believe my ears when teachers told me that I should charge more for the cards because they are made so well. In fact I thought that no one would buy them for one cent! Sr. Brenda even suggested that I start my own business and sell the cards at the mosque, and I'm deeply flattered by her support.

2. Listen to your customers
I try to pay attention to teachers and students feedback on how to make this type of fundraising event better. E.g. sell 3 cards for $2 (thanks to Sr. Elora), make more child-friendly cards (thanks to Sr. Shearin), and advertise early about the sale (thanks to several teachers). Allah SWT willing I hope to incorporate these suggestions in the next fundraising event.

3. Try not to bark at your customers
Many students couldn't resist taking a closer look at the cards, so they were jumping the queue and touching the cards when asked not to do so. I literally have to bark at them to curb their enthusiasm. Probably have to try a different strategy next time to control students better.

4. Be flexible
Most of the tables in the cafeteria, where the sale is held, are now used for the community's breaking fast event. So at the last minute I decided to lay the cards on the floor and use the banner as a barrier between the customers and the cards. While teachers are encouraged to examine the cards before purchasing them (since I know that they will have clean hands!), students are told to look but not touch them. This strategy worked really well, so I might adopt it again.

5. Acknowledgement
I'm a big supporter of giving credit to people who deserve it. For this project, I emailed to teachers and parents a list of teachers who purchased cards to show their support for the school since proceeds go to the school. I think sometimes parents don't realize how much money teachers spent on their students and classroom supplies from their own pocket. So I think it is important to hightlight those who made the special efforts, and many teachers told me they appreciate this simple but touching act.

6. Effective Marketing
I planned to sell cards for two days based on past experience. The first day of sale is to drum up customers' enthusiasm by showing them samples and informing them about the next day sale. So naturally sale is slow on the first day. The second day's strategy is to keep customers updated about the sale progress. When I told several teachers and students that cards are selling out fast, they were anxious that they may not have a chance to purchase the cards and I have to ensure them that I will save some for them. I also sent out daily emails to teachers and parents to remind them of the sale. I think people appreciate about being informed in a timely manner. Thanks to Sr. Shearin, I came up with a plan to let upper grade students who reserved some cards yesterday to grab them before they are sold out.