Life's like that!

September 04, 2008

No need to be perfect lah! I'm not Martha Stewart...

My dear sister said that artists are perfectionists. They will keep on trying to achieve their perfect masterpiece and if they should fail, they will sink into depression. I kind of agree with her on this, so I'm glad to officially declare that although I am an artist at heart, I'm NOT a perfectionist. I didn't bother to cut the lantern in this card into a perfect oval shape and that didn't bother me at all (the lantern opens up to reveal a brief message inside). I love the color combination and how the Chinese lantern design contrasts with the Western manuscript. The cute trailing butterfly placed strategically next to the Japanese flower print completes the design (thanks to Heroarts for the inspiration). Like I always tell people: "I'm not Martha Stewart, so no need to be perfect lah!"

In fact, I think that imperfection reminds us that we are after all human, so why not take it easy on ourselves and others when it comes to making mistakes. I find that this attitude makes me more forgiving towards people. I do have to stress that if the same mistake is repeated umpteen times, that is "stupidity dude"!

Here are ten traits of a perfectionist according to a doctor who contributed an article to About.com :

1. All-or-nothing thinking
2. Critical eye
3. Pushing towards goals
4. Unrealistic standards
5. Focus on result
6. Depressed by unmet goals
7. Fear of failure
8. Procrasination
9. Defensiveness
10. Low self esteem