Life's like that!

October 10, 2008

A Reader is a Winner

Today I subbed for the English/Language Arts teacher, Sr. EB as she needed to attend an online training in the computer lab. Since my schedule started at 10am, I went to volunteer with a kindergarten teacher, Sr. BA. All praise be to Allah SWT I had fun spending time with the kinder kids. I read two stories to them and they enjoyed my storytelling. After that, I helped Sr. Brenda to supervise them during the Math and English test. For Math, the students were supposed to be able to write number 1 to 25. For English, they are supposed to be able to write the alphabet letters in lowercase. I was surprised when I heard from Sr. BA that they have learnt these lessons for 3 weeks already, yet I noticed that some of them were having difficulty with these tests. Apparently those who did well were due mainly to parental involvement. Those students whose parents revised homework and read to them tend to do well. Sr. BA said that some of the students received additional help from the librarian every morning, and that have helped to improve their reading skills tremendously.

I am convinced that I must help my daughter learn to read as early as possible so that she can be successful in her studies. And to do that, I must help her to establish the habit of reading as early as possible by becoming her role model. Allah SWT willing I hope that I can achieve this goal.