Life's like that!

October 08, 2008

Motivation is a powerful tool

Yesterday I subbed for the 3rd grade teacher who teaches reading, math and science. The last time I subbed for her, students did not get to play the game "Pass the Chicken" as they needed repeated reminders to follow directions. This time, they almost lost the chance too. Initially I gave them six chances to earn the game, but several of them got carried away during group activity. Despite repeated warnings, they did not follow directions. So I cancelled their chance to play the game and they looked like it was the end of the world. (One of the students' older brother played this game when I subbed in his class told him about it and said it was a lot of fun.)

I don't believe in ending the day in a negative way, but I want to show them that they need to earn the game. So I gave them one last chance to follow directions. All praise be to Allah SWT, somehow my willingness to give them a chance to redeem themselves and their motivation to play the game worked. Although the game lasted only 5 minutes due to time constraint, they had fun playing it. I told them that if I sub in their class next time, I'll let them play the game longer if they earn it.

I think I'll use this strategy on my daughter when it comes to getting her to help out with house chores when she's older... (hehehe...)