Life's like that!

September 25, 2008

Dedication, Diligence and Faith

Yesterday I was called to sub for the 3rd grade teacher, Sr. Shorouq as she was out sick. It was nice to see the 3rd graders as they have always put on their best behavior whenever they were in the school library during last school year (I was the librarian then).

One of the them asked me when they can start visiting the school library and I told them they'll have to check with the new librarian. After this question, I told them that I will not be answering any more questions about the library since my job there was as a substitute teacher.

During my breaks between periods I got lots of questions about the handmade Eid cards from elementary, middle and high school students who saw me in the hallway. They wanted to know if they could purchase some and I felt bad to see the disappointment when they were told that the cards were sold out. But I was glad to see the surprise look on their face when they heard the words "sold out". As the saying goes "the early bird catches the worm".

A fifth grade student was one her way to the restroom, saw me there and we had a brief talk. She asked me about the cards and I told her they are sold out. She said that she was surprise at this because her initial thought about me selling 150 handmade cards were "not even one will be sold". I told her that I shared her thoughts too, and that I never imagine (and still couldn't believe it) that the cards would be gone within 2 hours on the second day of the sale. Before we parted, I told her that anyone who has the intention to help others sincerely, Allah SWT will provide the assistance to that person. I hope that this teaches her that dedicated, diligence and faith can help to make miracles come true for believers.

On a different note, a first grade student saw me in the hallway and we had the following conversation.

Student: Sister, why aren't you working in the library?
Me: I can't work in the library because my two year old daughter wants me to play with her.
Student: She wants you to play with her everyday?
Me: Yes.
Student: So when she goes to school, are you coming back to the library?

At this point, I don't really know what to say. She was looking so hopeful for a positive answer from me, but I told her that I'm not sure and will have to see about that. Sigh... it's moments like this that makes my heart ache.