Life's like that!

December 18, 2008

Patio Garden Update

I've been thinking about having an environmentally sustainable hobby lately. I need a hobby to keep myself busy, not cause additional pollution and wastage to the environment but it also helps to feed us since we are now a one-income family. My common sense tells me that gardening is just the hobby that I need.

Anway, here's the update from our patio garden.

This pot of spearmint has been thriving in the hot summer and cold winter since husband planted it in 2007. Although we don't pay attention to it (i.e. irregular watering and no fertilization), all praise be to Allah SWT it just somehow survive very well on its own.

The bell pepper plants are protected from the cold temperature underneath this shower curtain.


We bought this Kaffir Lime Plant (which will eventually grow into a tree, Allah SWT willing) at a Vietnamese owned garden nursery in Irving in early 2006. People in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Burma and Cambodia use the leaves in their everyday cooking. The leaves grow in pairs and I think it is such a romantic plant! I love to shred the leaves thinly and add them to Chinese Fried Rice. Smells heavenly!


Husband planted spring onions in these pots in October 2008. These pots used to grow tomatoes but they have all gone to veggie heaven. Don't really know what will happen to these green onions since nowadays it can be freezing one day (30s degree F) and warm the next day (60s-70s degree F).

Labels: