Life's like that!

February 28, 2010

A Bunny for My Honey

Daughter has been interested in small animals such as hamsters and rabbits. Then it occur to me that now might be a good time to keep a small pet to teach daughter about kindness to animals. I will of course be to the bunny's primary trainer/housekeeper, since daughter is still too young to take on this responsibility. My mother used to keep small pets when we were growing up, so I am used to cleaning animal cages and keeping them clean.

Last week a lady advertised on Craigslist that she has four baby mini rex rabbits for sale, I have been looking around for a mini rex rabbit because of their small size. Rabbit breeders usually charge $50 to $80 for one, but this lady charges only $20 for a 2 month old mini rex. So I contacted her and we made arrangement for her to deliver one near my area.

Before we meet, I cleaned up the old guinea pig cage that I have for about four years. Our three beloved guinea pigs used to live in this cage, but they passed away three years ago. Husband wanted to keep the cage in case we keep small pets again, so it has been with us all this time.

All praise be to Allah SWT the bunny looks healthy and well.


The book that I read for taking care of rabbits is "Hop to it: a guide to training your pet rabbit' by Samantha Hunter. This is the most comprehensive and informative book that I find on keeping rabbits.

The bunny that I get has dark brown fur with orange spots. Her parents have four babies and the owner couldn't take care of all four, that's why she is selling them.


Closeup of the latest addition to the family.

I will leave the bunny alone for a few days before handling her. I will try to see if my dear sister can give a nice name to the bunny.

Daughter is already looking forward to hold and cuddle the bunny. Looks like it will take some effort for me to curb her enthusiasm or else the bunny may suffer lots of stress from daughter's attention.

Labels: ,