Life's like that!

February 27, 2010

Good Day for Gardening

Today is a nice day for gardening. All praise be to Allah SWT the sun came out and there was a slight breeze.

I brought daughter to the nearby gardening center and bought a 1.5 cubit feet of garden soil (about $7) and a 1 cubit feet bag of mushroom compost (about $4). I mixed equal portion of garden soil and mushroom compost for each gardening pot to make the vegetables grow better. Next spring I intend to add compost only to all pots.


I checked husband's asparagus plants and found roots of five (out of six) still alive and thriving. So I transplanted them from a shallow container (that used to be bedding for our beloved guinea pig) to two long rectangular pots. Allah SWT willing they will sprout new leaves in the spring. During transplanting, I found a grub (not sure what kind) about 1 inch long, so I gave it to the chickens. It was amusing to see their reactions towards the grub. One of them grabbed it so fast that the other two didn't stand a chance.


I didn't have time to transplant cucumber seedlings to my rectangular pots, so probably will do so tomorrow, Allah SWT willing.

Used bottles to be used as greenhouses for cucumber seedlings.

Pots of soil ready for pole beans.

Gardening is actually quite a back-breaking hobby. I think I'll have to get a knee cushion soon to make this hobby easier on my knees.

Labels: