Life's like that!

May 07, 2010

Nurses Rock!

After DD2 was born, I stayed in the hospital for four days. Throughout these four days, nurses working on 12 hours shift (7am-7pm and 7pm-7am) attended to my medical needs. They would come into my room every two hours to check on me and see if I needed more pain medication or any help to be more comfortable.

I always read their name tags and address them by their first name whenever I saw them. I learned to do this when I saw my my sister-in-law did it after she gave birth to her eldest daughter in Singapore in 2001. I could feel that the nurses who attended to my sister-in-law appreciated the personal touch from a patient. So I remembered to do so when I gave birth to DD1 and DD2. I also said 'please' and 'thank you' to them at every opportunity. Actually one of the nurses commented that 'I am an easy patient' when I told her I was doing fine whenever she checked on me.

When I had some rest and felt well enough, I would take the opportunity to chat with several nurses who were on duty. I shared with two nurses about Chinese confinement period and they were amazed that I choose not to take a shower for 30 days. One of the nurses looked like she is just in her mid-twenties when in fact she is 35 years old and already a mother of 3 girls!

Yesterday I received a greeting card from the hospital that contains signatures of some of the nurses who took care of me. It was so nice to get the card and I sincerely thank them for this kind gesture.

My OB doctor and two other OB doctors from the same practice checked on me once a day during the four day stay. They stayed for only 5 minutes to ask about my wound and that was it. No small talks, no chit-chatting. Just purely business.

My doula was right when she told me that nurses do run the show at the hospital, and I am glad that they do.

Labels: