Life's like that!

September 13, 2010

Who wants to play charade?

It was a lot of fun teaching fourth grade students how to play charade this morning. And I was able to do so because morning assembly was delayed by one hour.

Due to the Eid celebration, students were allowed to be in school by 9am although teachers and staff were supposed to be in school by 7:30am.

At 8am I was in the main lobby when several first grade students were waiting for their homeroom teacher. Since we should not leave students unsupervised, one of the kindergarten teachers told me to bring them to the second floor for morning assembly. I brought them to the venue but no one was there. So I brought the students to the other first grade homeroom teacher. She said that she needed time to clean up her classroom, therefore she was unable to watch these students.

I went to the office to check with one of the admin staff, and just then the principal arrived. I asked him about morning assembly procedure for today, and he said that students who arrived before 9am should stay with their homeroom teacher. So I brought the students to the other first grade teacher who was in the computer lab to ask her if she could watch those students because by then several fourth grade students had arrived. Just before the teacher could answer me, I saw the students' homeroom teacher stood outside the computer lab and told her about the principal's decision on morning assembly. Then I gathered fourth grade students who were hanging out on the second floor and played charade with them in the classroom.

The charade game was a blast! I let students have the chance to provide categories such as places, food, hobbies, animals and sports. The boys played against the girls and the boys eventually won by one point. During the game, I instructed students to use their imagination to act out the categories. Everyone got so involved in the game that we were late for the morning assembly at 9am. Since I promised them that winners would receive prizes, I decided to give fruit juice packets to the winners. When I told them I would give prizes to the girls who participated in the game, they said it was unfair. I told them that it is a virtue to be gracious and since I was the judge, I could decide who could receive prizes. Allah SWT willing I hope that this would be a chance for fourth grade students to learn about good sportsmanship.

Labels: