Life's like that!

May 27, 2008

New Year Baby

I just watched a PBS documentary, New Year Baby http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/newyearbaby/khmerrouge.html about the Khmer Rouge - the horrifying regime that killed 2 million Cambodians, including my husband's 3 brothers, 2 sisters, grandparents, aunties, uncles and countless cousins.

The doc was filmed by Socheata Poeuv who wants to search for the answers to her parents' history in Cambodia.

"Socheata Poeuv was born in a refugee camp on Cambodian New Year’s Day, after her parents had fled the Khmer Rouge genocide and escaped to Thailand. She moved to Texas with her family in 1982. Socheata graduated from Smith College in 2002, and worked in network news for four years." - intro from the web site

For some reason, my daughter was awake at 10pm to watch this doc with me. When she's older, Allah SWT willing I will take the time to explain to her this important history so that she can understand her father's life story better.