Life's like that!

March 03, 2009

Chinese Lesson for Kids

Yesterday I subbed for the 4th grade teacher from 7:25am to 4pm. Good thing I went to school early to make copies of handouts for students.

I always enjoy subbing in this class because the students know the classroom rules and I can leave them alone in the classroom without worrying a bit.

During my break at 11am, I joined three teachers on a brisk walk around campus. Those ladies were walking at 20 miles per hour while I can only manage 5 mph! I didn't want them to slow down to wait for me, so I just told them to keep going at their pace. I have to admit that I took some shortcuts to not be too far behind them ;-) After walking briskly for 15 minutes, I had to stop and get ready for my next class at 11:30am.

During my second break at 12:35pm, I had lunch with two hispanic custodians and two new teachers. It was nice chatting with them and getting to know them better.

For some reason, I was in high spirit the whole day. Throughout the day, I shook hands and greeted students and teachers. I was just so happy to see everyone there. During classes with 4th and 5th grade students, I even sang Chinese children songs that I have singing to my daughter. Students looked at me with amusement and wonder when they heard me singing, and kept on pressing me to translate the lyrics to them. When they heard the Chinese version of 'Twinkle, twinkle, little star', they just shouted out the title.

I also realized that I now understand the important concept of 'to be nice but strict' and fairness when I'm with students. When students see me in class, they know that I can be funny and I want to have a good time with them. They also know that if they were to break certain classroom rules, I will hold them accountable for their choices. Even students who usually follow directions do get called out if they cross the line, so students know that I am fair to all.

Several upper grade students and teachers asked if I am going back to work full-time, and I told them that I'm taking care of my daughter. Sometimes when I think about it, it became hard for me to not be in school full-time. But when I think about my daughter, I have to push my priorities aside and just focus on her happiness.

Labels: ,