Life's like that!

March 08, 2009

Home Garden Project

This morning the weather is so beautilful that husband and I decided to tend to our home garden.

All praise be to Allah SWT the Kaffir Lime Tree is coming back to life. Two weeks ago husband thought that it is dying, but I told him that the plant is dormant due to the cold weather. Sure enough, this week's warmer temperature has revived the plant.

Husband bought a packet of 6 asparagus roots at Lowes, and he planted them in this tray after drilling holes on the bottom. Allah SWT willing we will have fresh asparagus in about one months' time.

I brought out the beans and cucumber seedlings to let them breath fresh air. I'll have to monitor the plants for the next few days as cooler weather (40s-50s degree F) is expected then.

The beans, bluebonnet, basil, tomato and hot pepper seeds that husband sowed in these long planting pots have sprouted. Compared to the ones that I sowed indoor, these took about one week longer to sprout.
The cage with cloth covering it is housing some tomato, basil and pepper seedlings. I am using it to test the growth rate of seedlings, as compared to the ones that I am still growing indoors.
I've also sowed some marigold and chives seeds in small tin cans. We'll see how long it'll take for them to sprout.


Marigold flowers give out an unpleasant scent, so it helps to repel insects from fruits and vegetables. I've sowed some seeds in the soil where the pebbles are (the fence is for our patio). We'll see whether the seeds will sprout in 5-8 days time, Allah SWT willing.


All praise be to Allah SWT we enjoy gardening and daughter enjoys digging soil and watering plants. Allah SWT willing I am really looking forward to see how our garden grows this year.


Labels: