Life's like that!

March 20, 2009

Starting a Sewing Revolution

On Wednesday I visited Sr. Eram and her family. It was a coincident that her daughter, Noor who is in 6th grade, likes to sew and I happened to have a bag of felt material, embroidery threads and scissors with me. I have always been looking for opporunities to get kids and teenagers to sew, so I was glad that she wanted to sew. Since she had prior sewing experience, she took only about half an hour to sew a small gift bag. I was really impressed by her sewing skills.

Sr. Eram also showed me her current embroidery projects, and a beautiful handmade sunflower wrap crocheted by her mother.

Before I left, I challenged Sr. Eram's son, Muneeb who is in 8th grade, to sew a small gift bag. I think that boys and girls should be taught life skills such as sewing and cooking. They'll gain more self-confidence and will be able to take better care of themselves when they eventually leave home.

Allah SWT willing I'll get to sew more often with Noor during the summer holiday.

Labels: