Life's like that!

October 30, 2011

Free washer-size boxes

For the upcoming Hajj Simulation event at the school, the teacher-in-charge needs large boxes to make a model of the ka'bah.

Last week, she said to me that she could not find refrigerator or washer/dryer size boxes at Lowes, Home Depot or Sears. She asked me to help her get large moving boxes if I am unable to find those free ones.

Yesterday, I googled for 'free refrigerator boxes' and found several postings by teachers who mentioned that they were able to find free refrigerator/washer/dryer size boxes at local appliances stores and Rent-a-Center stores.

In the evening, I was on my way to get grocery with DD1 and DD2 when I drove past a Rent-a-Center. I decided to stop by the store and ask the manager if they have any boxes. She replied that I might be able to find them next to the dumpster behind the store.

I drove the car to the dumpster and all praise be to Allah SWT, I found five of them! Although they were a little bit torn in several places, a duct tape should be able to fix these issues. I folded them and tried to pack them into the car, but they were too big to fit in. So I decided to leave the boxes next to the dumpster, go home and get husband to pick them up for me. All praise be to Allah SWT the drive home took only 10 minutes. On the way home, I called husband to tell him about my discovery and have him get DS ready in the car seat so that we can leave when I got home.

Husband drove us back to the dumpster and tied them on top of the car roof. All praise be to Allah SWT we made it home without any mishap.

I am so thankful to husband for his skills and creativity. I bet if I were to ask him to bring an elephant home for me, it would be a piece of cake for him!

Labels: