Life's like that!

October 22, 2011

The Green Team


Yesterday, I almost got a heart attack because of 5 caterpillars.

One of the 3rd grade teachers has a butterfly farm in her classroom where 5 monarch caterpillars are residing. She ordered a kit that comes with a milkweed plant for her 5 green friends whom I will call The Green Team.

Yesterday, after school dismissal at 3pm, she came to tell me that The Green Team has eaten all the leaves on the plant in less than a week. They were so hungry that they were munching on the plant stem. I almost fell off my chair when I heard that.

Now, I am not the biggest fan of those wriggly squirmy caterpillars, but I could not just ignore the fact that they might die if they don't get more food. So I helped the teacher to look up a nursery garden that sells milkweed plants. All praise be to Allah SWT, we found one that is about 45 minutes drive away. The bad news was the teacher has no idea how to get there.

So since DD1 was having a play date at the babysitter's house, I offered to drive the teacher to the nursery garden to get the plants. All praise be to Allah SWT, we made the trip to and fro safely despite heavy traffic due to highway construction. I also happened to find out that that nursery garden sells live chicken on the 3rd Saturday of every month from 9am to 2pm.

So now The Green Team should be  munching happily on fresh delicious milkweed plant leaves. I hope that I'll have the chance to see them become beautiful monarch butterflies.

Labels: