Life's like that!

October 19, 2011

Learn to Read

I have been coaching several 1st grade students in reading and math since I started work this month.

Boy, oh boy, it was an eye opening experience for me.

Many times, I find that the main reason students do not do well in math is because they cannot read the instruction. Usually once I read the instruction to them, they are able to solve those math problems.

I remember when I was at that age, I was struggling in my homework because Cantonese was the main language spoken at home with my mother. My test scores usually hoovered above the 50 percent mark because my father communicated with us in English.

Many students who struggle with school work speak a foreign language at home. Although I try to get DD1 to speak Mandarin with me, our primary language medium is still English. I read more English then Chinese books with her, and we watch more English programs on TV. Based on her teacher's feedback, she is able to comprehend instructions in class.

I am thankful that I am able to help out in the 1st grade classes to coach these students. This experience helps me to better understand the impact of parents' support for children's success in school.

Labels: