Life's like that!

December 31, 2008

Last Updates of 2008

On Dec. 21, the shortest day of the year, I prepared the sweet Chinese dessert, glutinous rice ball with peanut filling, for husband and daughter.

When I was in primary and secondary school, my mother would buy the ready made paste and boil small pink and white rice balls in sugar cane syrup.

All praise be to Allah SWT I bought this pack of glutinous rice balls that was made in Singapore and it is permissible for Muslims to consume. Is that coincidence or not?

***

The Wall Street Journal has been delivered to my apartment since I signed up for this free subscription from a hotel stay redeemption offer about one month ago. I love to read this type of publication because I learn so much about the current news and financial analysis from it. Every morning while daughter watches Sesame Street on PBS, I read the day's newspaper. Ah... the joy of reading...

Allah SWT willing I will be donating copies of the newspaper at the Islamic school's paper recycling program.

***
Last Thursday my father-in-law had a stroke at his home in Pahang, Malaysia. He was sent to the local community hospital on Friday by my sister-in-law. Then on Saturday he had another stroke at the hospital. Husband called his sister every two hours to get the update of his father's health.

Since this community hospital did not have an attending doctor, he was transferred to the larger public hospital on Saturday. Unfortunately the doctor was on vacation and will be back early this week. So the nurses note down observations of my FIL's health and on Tuesday, the doctor took a closer look at his condition.

So far my FIL has been taking a blood thinning medicine and the doctor wants to keep him in the hospital for three more days for observation. Husband has been reciting selected chapters from the Holy Qur'an for his father. Since he was on the phone in his room quite constantly, daughter was trying to get his attention by banging on his door. I'm also feeling quite stressed out by this sudden news. Allah SWT willing may my FIL recover soon.

***
Last Tuesday and Wednesday, I had three kids at my place to cook and do craft activities.

On Tuesday, Indris, Suhayla and Zayna prepared beef and veggie soup for lunch. Then they hand sewed a bean bag for themselves.

On Wednesday, Suhayla and Zayna came to prepare Salmon Burgers, bake a cake, and sewed a purse for themselves.

All praise be to Allah SWT, we had a lot of fun doing this activities together and the kids learned new skills.

Yummy Salmon Burgers
***

Yesterday the weather was unseasonally warm. While the rest of the United States were in the 10s , 20s and 30s degree F, the temperature here was 75 degree F. So I let daughter use a paintbrush and water to paint alphabet letters and shapes on the patio. When the water evaporated, she could 'paint' on the same spots again.
This is a really fun and costless activity for my daughter.

***
In secondary school we learned about this song 'Auld Lang Syne' during music lesson. I always remember the melody of this song and ponder about the meaning of the lyrics.

AULD LANG SYNE (Scottish Poem by Robert Burns, 1788)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne

Should old acquaintance be forgot,and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,and old times since ?
CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear, for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet, for auld lang syne.
And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !And surely I’ll buy mine !
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,for auld lang syne.
CHORUS
We two have run about the slopes,and picked the daisies fine ;
But we’ve wandered many a weary foot,since auld lang syne.
CHORUS
We two have paddled in the stream,from morning sun till dine† ;
But seas between us broad have roaredsince auld lang syne.
CHORUS
And there’s a hand my trusty friend !And give us a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,for auld lang syne.
CHORUS

(dine† - dinner time)