Life's like that!

September 26, 2010

Badly Bruised Toe

Last Thursday night at about 9pm, DD1 dropped a 3-lb metal pencil sharpener on her big left toe. The toe turned red instantly and DD1 cried nonstop. Husband happened to work late that day and came back a few minutes after the incident happened. He immediately comforted DD1 and gave her 2 teaspoons of ibuprofen (for children) to reduce inflammation. I called my sister and she suggested that we bring DD1 to the ER for an x-ray in case the toe bone is broken or fractured. We decided to wait till morning to see how bad the injury was.

Throughout the night, DD1 was crying due to the pain and we didn't get much sleep. By Friday morning, the toe turned purple so we decided to bring her to the ER. I informed the 4th grade teacher about the incident and told her I've called one of the admin assistants to get a substitute teacher for me. The 4th grade teacher told me not to worry about the class and to take care of my daughter.

7:30am: We reached the ER and by now DD1 was still in a lot of pain. She was not crying so much now but wanted us to read to her. All praise be to Allah SWT I brought four of her favorite picture books to the hospital, so it took her mind off her injured toe as I read to her. DD1 was very quiet when Nurse Erin took three x-rays of her toe. She followed directions to remain still during the process and even thanked the nurse for taking good care of her.

10:15am: All praise be to Allah SWT the ER doctor told us that the x-rays did not show any broken or fractured bones in the toe. The toe is badly bruised and we'll need to give DD1 painkiller medicine every 6 hours. According to him, the toe will be swollen for about 1 week and the nail will fall off in about 2-3 weeks. The foot need to be elevated and an ice pack can be applied on the toe to relieve the pain.

It has been physically exhausting to breastfeed DD2 while working full-time. Now that I have an injured child to take care, I think I'll need another cup of coffee to help me get through the day.

Labels: