Life's like that!

January 04, 2009

Community Service

I've been giving free tutoring to a 3rd grade student in Math since November 2008. All praise be to Allah SWT he is quite good at this subject but he needs more coaching in word problems. Another problem is that he tends to work fast on his test questions but does not check his answers. So I have been reminding him to double check his work.

His parents were from Somalia and they work very closely with him at home. Being the oldest child of 4 kids in his family, he gets more pressure to get good grades but does not get adequate attention from his parents since they have to take care of two younger children age 1 and 4 years old. His sister, one year younger than him, does very well in school.

All praise be to Allah SWT, in December 2008, his math test score improved by 10 points, and his mother was very happy. I feel an enormous sense of satisfaction to see him succeed in school. By donating my time and skills to help a community member, I feel rewarded in an unique way. Allah SWT willing I hope to get my daughter to perform community service when she gets older.