Life's like that!

April 27, 2011

Za'atar Recipe


When I lived in West Texas several years ago, I had my first taste of za'atar bread made by an Egyptian friend whose husband was working as a professor at the university where I worked.

I immediately fell in love with this delicious snack and had hoped to learn how to make it for myself and my family.

All praise be to Allah SWT two months ago, a teacher made a stack of za'atar bread for my because I was craving for it, and taught me how to make it. So I bought a packet of pre-mixed za'atar from a greek grocery store and made it at home. Husband and DD1 both loved it! Now I plan to make it at least once a week for the whole family to enjoy.

Recipe from here.


Ingredients:

1/4 cup sumac
2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons marjoram
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon coarse salt

Preparation:
Grind the sesame seeds in food processor or with mortar and pestle. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Direction for toasting za'atar on pita bread:
1. Mix 1/3 cup of za'atar with 1/2 cup of olive oil.
2. Spread mixture on top of a pita bread.
3. Bake the bread in a preheated 350 degree F toaster oven for 10 minutes.

*Store za'atar in a cool, dark place in a plastic zip bag or in an airtight container. When stored properly, za'atar can be used from 3-6 months.

Labels: